For a town of roughly 40,000 people, Mooresville, NC, packs a big punch. Only 30 miles from Charlotte, the biggest city in the state, young professionals, families, and retirees love to live, work, and play in Mooresville.
Whether you want a weekend getaway from the bustle of the big city or you’re just looking for something exciting to do after living here for years, you might be surprised at just how much fun you can have in this lakefront town. Check out seven of our team’s favorite things to do in Mooresville year-round.
1) Check Out Signature Downtown Events 📅
The saying goes… “If you haven’t been to downtown, you haven’t been to Mooresville!” And we’d like to agree with that. With everything from unique clothing boutiques and art galleries to delicious restaurants and collectible antiques, you’ll be charmed by the downtown area.
One of our absolute favorite parts of Downtown Mooresville is the annual signature events. There’s always fun stuff happening downtown! Mark your calendars for these recurring events:
- ☘️ Shamrocks & Shenanigans: A St. Patrick’s Day Festival every year on St. Patrick’s weekend
- 🍷 Uncorked & Artsy: Wine and beer tasting with live music and food each spring and fall
- 🌮 Festival of Food Trucks: Plentiful food trucks serving delicious food once a month from April-October
- 🎄 Christmas in July: Celebrate Christmas a little early with shopping and treats each July
- 🎃 Candy Grab: Trick or treating in the heart of downtown each Halloween weekend
- ⛸️ A Classic Christmas: Hot cocoa, visits from Santa Claus, ice skating, carolers, and more each December
For all these events and more, keep an eye on the Downtown Mooresville events calendar.
2) Pick Your Own Produce at Carrigan Farms 🍎
Carrigan Farms is a beloved place in town. This family-owned farm offers slews of fun, including open swims, flash weddings, and even a haunted trail in October. (“Scarrigan” Farms is not for the faint of heart or kids under 12— you’ve been warned 😱!)
One of our favorite fall activities is visiting the farm itself and picking fresh, locally-grown produce. You’ll find items like:
- And much more!
Each ticket to the apple orchard or pumpkin patch includes a hayride to the petting zoo! This is a fantastic activity for the kids, spending time with friends, or for a fun date night.
3) Take a Class at Future Fashion Designers Academy 👗
For a completely unique activity available to kids and adults alike, sign up for a class at Future Fashion Designers Academy in the historic downtown. The owner, Shawnelle, started the company in 2010 to teach young and old generations about fashion design and sewing techniques.
And if you’re an adult who misses the fun of summer camp, there’s a fashion camp just for adults! Each year, Shawnelle hosts a 4-day, 3-night fashion sewing retreat called Camp Sew Social. You get to camp at Lake Norman, make friends, and hone your sewing skills!
In-person and online classes are offered year-round— just keep an eye on their website for the latest dates.
4) Explore All Things Auto Racing 🏎
Fun Fact: Mooresville is known as “Race City USA” and is an absolute paradise for auto racing fanatics. As one of the largest racing hubs in North Carolina, there’s no shortage of racing fun to explore. Check out any one (or all!) of these exciting racing-themed attractions:
- NC Auto Racing Walk of Fame (Like the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but for racing!)
- North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame (A museum full of history and memorabilia)
- JR Motorsports (Home to a 66,000-square-foot race shop)
- Penske Racing Shop (View all the NASCAR and IndyCars in this 105-acre racing facility)
- The Pit Indoor Kart Racing (Join a race yourself in this fun activity!)
- GoPro Motorplex (Outdoor go-kart racing)
5) Rent a Boat at Lake Norman ⛵️
The Lake Norman area is one of the region’s most beautiful places to live and visit. And Mooresville is situated right on the lake!
There’s a whole host of things to do at Lake Norman, including:
One of our favorite things to do is rent a boat— whether it be a pontoon, motorboat, canoe, or paddleboat— and enjoy a nice day out on the water. You can even rent jet skis if you’re feeling adventurous!
You can find all the information you need about Lake Norman boat rental companies here.
6) Tour the Best Restaurants 🍽
No matter what the weather’s like, you can always enjoy some good food at a restaurant, right? Whether you want to hit up some patios in the sunshine or cozy up inside on a dreary day, there’s no shortage of incredible bites in Mooresville.
From seafood and steak to tacos and farm-fresh dining, check out our 10 favorite restaurants in Mooresville here!
7) Go on a Wagon Ride at Lazy 5 Ranch 🐴
The Lazy 5 Ranch is a household name here in Mooresville. This ranch advertises “fun for kids ages 1 to 100!” Home to over 750 animals from six different continents, you and the kids will have a blast viewing exotic animals, feeding them, and learning more about their preservation.
Lazy 5 Ranch is specifically committed to the recovery and preservation of many endangered species, including:
- Ring-tailed lemurs
- Grevy zebras
- Scimitar-horned oryx
You can view and feed the animals with one of three ticket options:
- Walk Thru
- Drive Thru
- Wagon Ride
The wagon ride, in particular, is a fantastic way to spend an afternoon with your family on a guided horse-drawn tour.
- Heads Up: Lazy 5 Ranch only accepts cash and checks— no credit or debit cards!
Support Your Local Community
It’s clear that Mooresville is a tight-knit community that always supports its residents and visitors. We hope you enjoy these fun Mooresville activities all year round, just like our team does.
And if you’re looking for more ways to support local businesses, consider Tidds Roofing whenever you or a friend needs roof repairs or a replacement. We love living and working in Mooresville and look forward to serving more of our neighbors with the best quality in the region!
Reach out today to introduce yourself and get a free inspection!